Monday, January 16, 2017

day 6: Sunday

Another good walk.  Ziggy woke up a little groggy but spunkier than the past few days, and she was ready to go but not obnoxious.  I treat her like crazy, taking small training treats and small pieces of chicken and some kibble (which she hasn't been eating at all because of all the treats).

Only lunging was at some crows.  Crows often taunt her - there is one who likes to sit on our electrical lines and caw incessantly at her through the window - it might be the same one who sometimes stalks us on our walks.  But she redirected pretty well, and even more impressive was her reaction to squirrels.  She spotted them before I did but she just registered them and I redirected her and then she chose to want to walk on the sidewalk furthest away from them.  I love that this dog has figured out my tricks and uses them on herself.  We saw others and for one she half-heartedly lunged but didn't even bark, and I kept her attention until the squirrel ran up the tree.  We didn't encounter them today but sometimes the squirrels like to taunt her rather than just run and hide.  I know she's fun to taunt because she's explosively belligerent.

Now she watches out the window at the world, alert but not excessively so.  Hopefully she'll nap soon - and if not, hopefully that's a sign that she's feeling better.

She lets me touch the lump on her back but she makes it hard to examine closely (moving away, sitting, etc.).  Sometimes she just doesn't like directed attention so it's hard for me to tell if there is an issue with pain or just that funny thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment